Top Summer Food and Wine Pairing: Lamb chops and Pinot Noir
It’s not a Summer BBQ without lamb chops on the barbeque, best served with a glass of wine or two. With the year that we have had, and restrictions relaxing, it’s all about celebrating and appreciating our friends and family, and what better way than to host them in your backyard. If you’re looking for a filling, fresh summer recipe, try this one from Australian Lamb – Dukkah Crusted Lamb Chops with Watermelon Salad.
Read on for this simple yet delicious summer recipe and why our light-bodied McGuigan Single Batch Project Pinot Noir is our go-to red wine pairing this Summer.
The #1 red wine to drink this summer; Pinot Noir
Light and delicate, Pinot Noir (pee-noh nwah) is Australia’s most popular light-bodied wine. Lush red fruit and floral flavours are complemented with subtle spice and a velvety, smooth finish. A versatile wine, it pairs well with a range of dishes, including lamb, chicken, pork and mushroom. If you’re after a light red wine in the warmer months, then Pinot Noir is a great option for you. You actually might already be drinking it, but as a rose! Did you know that Pinot Noir is often crafted into rosé?
The McGuigan Single Batch Project wines are crafted in a lighter style that makes them perfect for pairing with food. Grown and crafted in Australia, every vintage, each wine parcel is allocated a batch code, separated from other batches and treated independently to ensure cleanliness and purity of winemaking. With Mother Nature ensuring each year offers new possibilities and hope of a celebrated vintage, these codes are the only constant and have come to symbolize our family’s commitment to always make the wine the hero. Our Pinot Noir is light ruby red in colour with purple hues. The nose is filled with aromas of fresh strawberries and hints of spice. On the palate, typical red berries and cherry combine with judicious oak integration, the firm acidity and soft tannins rounding out a balanced and long-lasting finish.
The fresh, red fruit flavours make this wine the perfect accompaniment to BBQ dishes, like Dukkah Lamb Chops with Watermelon Salad. This delicious summer lamb recipe is super easy and something your guests will love. The middle-Eastern flavours are bursting with freshness and flavour, making our Pinot Noir the ideal wine pairing.
If you haven’t already, it’s time you discovered the McGuigan Single Batch Project range and try our Pinot Noir.
Win with McGuigan! $1000 Barbeques Galore Voucher Every Day for 60 Days
Now is the best time to try, as we’ve got an exciting promotion on where we are giving away 60 x $1,000 Barbeques Galore Vouchers for 60 days – that’s 1 x $1,000 voucher every day for 60 days! Need a new BBQ? Or looking to deck out your backyard with some new outdoor furniture? Simply buy any bottle of McGuigan Wines or McGuigan Zero from 1st January – 28th February, and upload your receipt to www.mcguiganwines.com.au/bbq. Every entry will be included in each of the draws, and you’re able to enter more than once, so get buying!
Dukkah Crusted Loin Chops with Watermelon Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 8 lamb loin chops, fat trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup dukkah
- 80g baby salad leaves
- 300g seedless watermelon, rind removed, chopped
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon +extra wedges, to serve
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Brush lamb with half the oil and sprinkle with dukkah. Season. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat and cook chops for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking. Rest on a plate loosely covered in foil for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine salad leaves, watermelon, cucumber, olives, lemon zest and juice and remaining oil. Season and toss to coat. Top with feta cheese and sprinkle with mint leaves.
- Serve lamb chops with salad, potatoes and lemon wedges, if desired.
- Lamb cutlets or leg steaks would also work well in this recipe.
- Ensure you rest the lamb to lock in juices and maximise tenderness.
- Dukkah is an Egyptian mix of roasted nuts, seeds and spices blended together – available in the herb and spice aisle of the supermarket.